Best Vape Mods for Clouds
Cloud Chasing mods for Direct Lung Vapers
Almost everyone likes blowing a huge cloud every now and then (or all of the time). A lot of recent mods are capable of sub-ohm vaping, which is to say it is capable of handling lower ohm resistance builds.
When finding the right mod for direct lung vaping, we are looking for a few features in particular:
- capable of low ohm resistance builds. .1ohm lower bound is now available in wattage modes and .05ohm is common when using Temperature Control (TC) mode
- capable of higher wattage for fast powering
- multiple batteries are a nice feature
To complete your cloud blowing rig, you are going to want to get a vape tank that has good airflow for huge lung draws as well as a high or max VG (vegetable glycerin) e-juice. The VG is what actually causes the visible cloud in the vapor.
Voopoo Drag 157w Tc Box Mod Rating: 9/10
The VOOPOO DRAG 157W TC box mod features the GENE chip and is a absolute beast. The Drag, a dual 18650 box mod, hits like a champ and has a sleek, classic box mod look with all the most up to date features and safety protections.
The GENE chip has received accolades from vapers every where and for good reason. This chip is state of the art for vape mod technology.
Not only can it do everything a high end chip such as the DNA chip found on super expensive mods can do but it is one of the fastest firing and most powerful chips around.
The Drag is highly power efficient with a chip efficiency rating of 95% which translates into accurate and reliable power output regardless of whether the mod is in wattage or temperature control mode.
This mod has a smart VW (variable wattage) that can recommend the ideal output for the attached atomizer and can easily adjust. It even has a SUPER mode that activates between 130W and 157W for high wattage vapers.
Complimenting its slim, classic two battery design, the Drag also features a simplified display. This simplification makes the menu navigation take a little more effort than mods that feature displays on the mod face making this mod a bit difficult for new vapers but if you have been around mods a little bit you will fall in love.
Voopoo really went all out on the build quality of this mod. It is made from what seems like a solid piece of high quality stainless steel which give the mod a bit of heft and sturdy feel. The sides of the mod features on one side stylized laser etched DRAG and the other is a carbon fiber panel.
With a atomizer resistance range of 0.05 ohm to 3.0 ohm, high power output and a full featured and accurate temperature control and very fast firing this mod is a good fit for the vaper looking for strong performance.
- uses the badass GENE chip
- extremely fast firing and very powerful
- looks great with sleek design, laser etching and carbon fiber
- very high build quality
- has a smart variable wattage that can automatically adjust and recommend ideal output based on resistance
- has a SUPER mode for high wattage vaper
- Temperature Control supports - SS316, Ti, Ni200 and TCR
- can fire down to 0.05ohm - even in TC mode
- simplified display
- strong battery door magnets
- firmware upgradeable
- slim width will lead to over hang with larger tanks
Geekvape Blade 235w Rating: 9/10
The GeekVape Blade vape is a quality two battery box mod kit that features the versatile and fast firing AS chipset.
The body of the Blade is made from an aircraft grade polymer (PPS), giving the mod durability, a lighter weight and an interesting tactile sensation that isn't slippery.
The 510 platform has a 25mm diameter and the pin is spring loaded. The mod has rounded edges with a curved top and bottom on the front. This curve gives it the mod an interesting look but limits the diameter of atomizer to 25mm without overhang.
On the back side, the battery door has prominent, stylized venting and is secured by four strong magnets with no rattle or looseness.
This mod is able to use 3 types of batteries for lots of choice on power: 18650, 20700 and 21700. The sled is prefit for 20700/21700 with a secure fit on both. To use 18650s, GeekVape includes a tray that adapts the battery sled to size.
Overall, the GeekVape Blade is comfortable, performant mod that is fast firing and easy to use with a slew of battery options.
- mod has a comfortable hand feel and button position
- AS chipset is fast firing, accurate and powerful
- battery sled handles 20700, 21700 batteries by default (18650 with tray insert)
- using 21700 batteries will give long lasting performance
- the screen displays all the desirable information is a clean arrangement
- the mod made from a durable, lightweight aircraft grade polymer (PPS)
- comes in a bright color blend but also available in standard matte black and a blue
- contoured bottom of mod can make it easier to tip that other mods
- the 18650 tray seems a bit tight
Smoant Cylon 218w Tc Rating: 9/10
The Smoant Cylon is a dual 18650 218W box mod that is fast firing with strong performance from the Ant218 v2 chipset, is easy to use and comfortable to hold as well as fire.
On the top of the mod, the spring loaded 510 is firm and well secured by a perfectly flush, wide, surrounding top plate.
The central placement of the 510 pin is fantastic and enables the use of very wide diameter tanks, up to 30mm with no overhang or aesthetic issues!
The 18650 batteries are bottom loading and the battery door is utilizes a slide and lock system, which is easy to secure but may be a little on the loose side.
The color screen is large and bright. This mod has a very easy to use menu system with a lot of options. During regular usage mode, the display has multiple layouts including a simple display with a changeable wallpaper and a second display with a speedometer design that looks cool and is fun.
This mod has a comfortable hand feel and a large fire button on the side of the device for index finger firing.
Overall, the Smoant Cylon is a comfortable, two battery mod with great performance, particularly for variable wattage vapers.
- fast firing, accurate and high powered
- large tanks are no problem thanks to central placement of the 510 pin (even 30mm looks good!)
- large well placed button for easy firing (on the side for index finger triggering)
- comfortable hand feel
- huge color screen with cool firing display
- easy to use menu system
- batteries are bottom loading and secured with a slide and lock system
- able to set your own wattage curves
- fire button needs to depressed in the center to top area
- has recommended ohm resistances for TC wires
Smoant Battlestar 200w Rating: 9/10
The Smoant Battlestar was first released back in the second half of 2016 and has been one of the vape community's favorite two battery mods ever since. It is powerful, feels good in the hand and is good looking.
Able to handle down to 0.1ohms, this mod is fast firing and is able to handle pretty much any build. The Battlestar with go up to 200w in wattage mode but can also handle nichrome, titanium and three types of stainless steel in temperature control mode. It even has TCR for a more custom TC experience.
It was the first two battery mod to feature the faux triangle shape that has become something of a trend. This shape gives it a comfortable hand feel and is easy to fire with the finger or thumb depending on positioning.
- powerful device, fires down to .1 ohms at wattage up to 200w and supports temperature control for Ni, Ti, three types of stainless steel and has TCR for customization
- ergonomic shape that feels good in the hand and can be fired with index finger or thumb based on your hand position
- recessed area around spring loaded 510 pin for handling seepage
- strong build quality and no more button rattle (Thanks Smoant for listening to customers)
- magnetic secured battery door
- usb charging and firmware upgradeable
- reverse battery, low resistance, low input voltage, short circuit, overheating protection
- only fires up to 1.3 ohm but that is low wattage vaping territory and this mod may be overpowered for that situation
Augvape V200 Box Mod Rating: 9/10
Inspired by a powerful car engine, the Augvape V200 is a dual 18650 200W box mod that has a different style than other mods out there.
It has a tough looking design and features a prominent, knotched button offset on the top right of the device. It is rotatable to scroll up and down in the settings and wattage (one watt increments! nice!).
There is no menu to navigate which keeps things easy, just different modes and wattage is adjustable.
The fire button is actually the top of screen believe it or not and it works pretty well for a click thumb fire.
This mod has three modes:
- a normal variable wattage mode
- V mode - a faster ramp up setting that provides stable power at higher wattages (most users will be happy with this mode)
- BYPASS mode for classic mechanical style usage (advanced user mode - don't recommend this mode for new vapers)
There is no temperature control on this device which keeps things simple, particularly for vapers that don't use TC anyway!
The slide and lock bottom battery door is quite secure and isn't loose which has been a problem for these type of doors in the past. Battery orientation is clearly marked, which is a nice thing to see. For people worried about the lack of visible battery venting, the gap around the door acts as venting.
On the top of the mod, the platform surrounding the centrally located 510 is slightly raised, fitting 24mm and 25mm tanks perfectly but larger diameter atomizers will experience a slight gap.
Overall, the V200 is a strong performing variable wattage device for vapers that are looking to keep things simple, yet not sacrifice any power.
- Fires right away
- simple and straight forward to use!
- top of the screen is a clicky thumb fired button that feels natural
- wattage adjusts in one watt increments
- centrally located 510 pin
- secure slide and lock bottom battery door which is clearly marked
- interesting fire mechanism and rotating adjustment buttons
- bright, clean display and dimmable screen
- comes in matte black, red and white
- the included micro USB is pretty nice and is wrapped with a red nylon fiber
- no temperature control but not a problem if you don't do TC
- the contact is slightly raised which causes a bit of gap on 28-30mm atomizers
- raised edge on the sides of the mod could bother some people
Smoant Charon 218w Tc Rating: 9/10
The Smoant Charon 218w TC box mod is a very strong performing dual 18650 device. Shaped in a familiar kind of configuration for a two battery device, it comes in gold black, stainless and bronze and has lots of wraps that you can put on the battery door to make it more customized.
Using the Ant218 chipset, this device is able to fire down to 0.1ohm and can handle Ni200, titanium (Ti), stainless steel 316 (Sus316) and nichrome (NCR), as well as TCRs and custom temperature curves (supported through use of software).
Similar to the Battlestar in many ways, the Charon is very fast firing with no real discernible delay between pressing the fire button and getting action.
The menu system is super easy to use and switching modes is a snap.
Overall this is a very good device selection for any vaper looking for a versatile yet easy to use mod.
- very fast firing like the Battlestar with lots of protections built in
- fires down to 0.05ohm and features automatic resistance lock
- solid feeling device with no battery or button rattle (high build quality)
- clicky fire button
- very easy to use menu system and mode switching
- will handle up to 25mm tanks without overhang
- temperature control capable (Ni, Ti, SS) with TCRs for custom temperature control
- firmware upgradeable
- a good (and more affordable) alternative to DNA based devices
- battery venting is fairly prominent
- well fitting, easy to remove battery door with a enjoyable feeling leather wrap
- spring loaded 510
- Smoant products while very good, aren't available at most retailers.
- custom temperature curves are controlled with software instead of on device, but not many people actually mess with curves
Smok Alien 220w Mod Rating: 9/10
This squeeze-fired two-battery mod from SMOK, quickly became one of their most popular mods ever for good reason. This mod has inspired many of their more recently released devices, making this mod a classic. It is featured in one of the best selling two battery mod vape starter kits of all time.
The Alien has one of the most informative and well designed display screens. This mod utilizes a familiar button click pattern for powering on and off as well as adjusting the settings in the menu system.
It is a 220w, firmware upgradeable, high functionality vape mod that is easy to use and is very comfortable to fire. The Alien 220w has one of the best squeeze fire bars on the market, which has been imitated many times but never quite replicated.
Swapping batteries is fast with a quick release bottom battery door, saving precious time when you need to get some fresh power and get back to what you were doing.
- Two Battery - 220w device with Ni/Ti/SS TC modes as well as TCR
- Squeeze Fired instead of button triggered, an enjoyable feature and welcomed change from just seeing front fire mods
- Most informative and well-layed out display screens we have seen
- easily upgradeable firmware
- aesthetically pleasing with different color accents to match your style
- looks good with 24s and 25s
- secure bottom loading battery compartment
- bottom battery door can be awkward to open
- have seen reports of button bar rattle but have not experienced with pictured unit
Smok Gx 2/4 Apv Box Mod Rating: 9/10
The Smok GX 2/4 APV (advanced personal vaporizer) box mod seems to be the spiritual successor to the Alien 220W. It is stylish, well designed, and powerful.
When the Alien was first released it was received extremely well. It was the everyday workhorse mod for a large number of vapers including myself. This mod has become started to take over that spot.
It has the ability to fire up to 350W when using four batteries and 220W in two battery mode. The mod features a slim profile squeeze or front firing bar that is natural feeling to depress.
Smok bills the GX2/4 as the smallest two battery mods on the market and when in 4 battery mode it isn't much bigger than some three battery mods.
If you are looking for a powerful mod that is also easy to use and also looks attractive, this may be the mod for you.
- squeeze fired with a slim profile front fire bar (feels natural)
- two battery (220W) and four battery configurations (350W) with four battery door included
- very well designed, sleek and stylish looking , high build quality
- upgraded paint (very smooth like a waxed car) in a variety of colors
- can take 25mm tanks without overhang
- comfortable in the hand
- spring loaded 510 pin
- fire bar is slightly offset in two battery mode and perfectly centered when in four battery mode (may be a con to some)
Best Single Battery Mod
Lower wattage, Mouth to Lung (MTL) vaping and vaping on the GO!
A lot of new vapers and recent ex-smokers are really well served by getting a vape starter kit as it cuts down on the extra pieces like tanks and batteries.
Vapers that already have a good MTL vape tank or other tank in mind however are going to want to look for a few features to make the right selection.
Features that you want in a mod for quitting smoking, lower wattage (50w and under) and MTL vaping:
- Small and portable for easy storage as well as possible stealth
- single 18650 battery (due to size) or perhaps a built-in battery
- regulated device for safety features such as battery protections
- on/off capability for safe storage
- ability to take a common 510 threaded tank capable of mouth to lung hits
Getting a single battery mod that can handle a 26650 will accomplish the same tasks as a slightly smaller 18650 only mod but comes with the added benefit of longer battery life and higher wattage ranges.
Geekvape Aegis Rating: 9/10
Got fumble fingers or like the great outdoors? The GeekVape Aegis is a very sturdy mod that is shockproof, waterproof and dust proof. This is the perfect device for the vaper who wants a durable, quality mod.
- Shockproof (drop resistant), Waterproof and Dust proof! This is the perfect outside vape mod. The Aegis has a very high build quality.
- Very durable, sturdy feeling mod with a bit of weight to it
- extremely fast firing! (the fastest we have tested). Firing seems near instantaneous and GeekVape claims 0.015 seconds.
- will fire down to 0.05 ohms
- large, ergonomic front firing button
- the Aegis is a single battery mod
- perfect fit for the 26650 battery size as well as the 18650 with the included battery adapter
- can handle all the temperature control wires, plus has TCRs and variable power curves
- Features a well laid out display screen with easily adjustable screen brightness.
- Takes a bit of extra time to replace the batteries that most people are used to as you have to unscrew a water tight cap.
- USB firmware upgrading is a serious pain due to watertight design but default firmware is pretty good.
Vaporesso Nebula Rating: 8/10
The Nebula from Vaporesso is a single battery mod (capable of using either standard 18650 or the wider 26650). It features the new OMNI board which is capable of a bunch of cool features, such as custom firing curves in both wattage and TC mods, in addition to features that vapers have come to expect.
- It is small. Particularly for a mod capable of taking a 26650, easily fitting in the hand.
- Ergonomic design with comfortable hand feel. Has a pleasant feeling textured back plate and trigger front firing button.
- The width of the device is able to take a 25mm tank and still look great
- Has smart VW for estimating optimal firing based on coil resistance. Helps prevent those overfiring situations when you switch your tanks.
- Custom firing curves for wattage and TC in addition to TCR modes. Curves mode really lets you get a custom vape tailored to your tastes.
- The mod is capable of firing up to 100w (80 with 18650) which is more than you would want single battery, just for battery life. This is not a mod for high watt vaping. (comes with a battery adapter for using the 18650 option)
- Has an extra mode button to stay away from those annoying multiple button press menu design seen on many other mods
- Surface picks up fingerprints
- the design aesthetics may not be for everyone
- very slight firing delay