If you're looking to quit smoking or the right choice of vape pen, mod, or tank we have the best buying recommendations from vaping pros. The vape industry is constantly innovating and evolving and we will update this guide frequently.
Quit smoking with Vaping
Easiest way to still get nicotine and improve your health and wealth
The hardest habit for most people in their entire life will be to quit smoking. Finding a way to replace the addiction like that to nicotine is very difficult. Vaping? Patches? Gum? Go cold turkey? Switch to coffee? Eat candy and get fat?
Recent research has indicated that e-cigs are the most effective way to quit smoking, even if you don't break your nicotine addiction.
Switching to vaping from traditional analog cigarettes has been found by the UK government to be at least 95% safer than smoking. The vaper can control how much nicotine they intake without getting all of the horrible byproducts and side effects of smoking.
The easiest and fastest way to switch to vaping with with a vape starter kit.
Aspire Pockex [All-In-One Starter Kit] Rating: 8/10
The Pockex from Aspire is what they are calling an All-in-One starter kit.
It is an easy to use battery included vape pen style starter kit that is perfect for newer vapers as well as vapers looking for a small on the go style device. It has a single button for firing and on/off (traditional 5 clicks).
It is a non-adjustable top airflow device that takes air into the top of the cartridge down one coil and then up the other coil into the chimney in a U shape which is something new. Having the coil structured this way provides a smooth draw that would be considered a loose mouth-to-lung to fairly restricted direct lung.
As with most other devices this size, it features a 2 ml capacity and it is TPD compliant for British vapers. The built in battery is 800 mah and is charged through a bottom usb port.
- Dead simple to use. 5 clicks on, fire, 5 clicks off, charge.
- Great for new vapers, ex-smokers. It is inexpensive without feeling cheap; Makes a great gift!
- The coil (short chimney design) provides very good flavor. The kit comes with 2 NautilusX coils both 0.6 ohms.
- Small stature and feels comfortable in the hand. Would easily fit in a pocket or purse.
- Aspire designed this kit to be leak free.
- We wish aspire would have made this device 1000-1200mah
- The tip can get hot with chain usage like other subohms that use the coil housing as a chimney.
Aspire Zelos 50w Nautilus 2 Starter Kit Rating: 8/10
The Aspire Zelos 50W vape starter kit pairs a 2500mah built in battery device with the Aspire Nautilus 2 mouth to lung (MTL) sub-ohm tank to make a very good MTL flavor chasing rig at a mid-range price point.
- the Nautilus 2 tank provides an enjoyable MTL flavor chasing experience
- easy to use (and the coils are quite common) which makes it good for newer vapers
- top fill, 22mm tank, 2ml capacity (standard size for this type of tank)
- very controllable airflow (shut off to very restricted lung hit) for providing smooth draws
- uses widely available BVC coils (1.6 @ 10-15W and .7 ohms @ 18-23W) that should enable all day vaping on a single charge
- the mod has a familiar 3 button layout and interface
- built in 2500mah battery pack (same capacity as the average 18650) with pass through charging
- spring loaded 510 pin
- Auto Cutoff/Low Voltage/Short Circuit/Overheat/Over Discharge/Over Charge Protection
- bit larger than the usual vape pen style mtl kits but it still fits well in hand
Innokin Endura T18 Rating: 9/10
This offering from Innokin is an affordable kit with awesome mouth to lung vape which is perfect for those wishing to switch from smoking to vaping.
- Perfect for a new vaper or ex-smoker. It makes a great gift!
- Fantastic assortment of tip styles included. Something for everybody!
- easy filling and charging
- sturdy design
- cartridge can seem to get a bit stuck when replacing it
Best Mods for Vaping
Best vaporizer box mods
Selecting the right mod depends on the role the mod will be filling. If you are at home, on the road, at work, looking for a stealthy light-weight mod or a high power TC mod for huge clouds, head over to the mod page to find the best mod for you. Some mods can meet every role and some can excel at a few.
New vapers that currently have no gear or are looking to get into vaping from smoking are going to best served by getting a full size vape starter kit. Once vaping turns into more of a lifestyle choice or hobby, upgrading piecemeal is the way to go.
Single Battery Mod
Vaporesso Nebula Rating: 8/10
The Nebula from Vaporesso is a single battery mod (capable of using either standard 18650 or the wider 26650). It features the new OMNI board which is capable of a bunch of cool features, such as custom firing curves in both wattage and TC mods, in addition to features that vapers have come to expect.
- It is small. Particularly for a mod capable of taking a 26650, easily fitting in the hand.
- Ergonomic design with comfortable hand feel. Has a pleasant feeling textured back plate and trigger front firing button.
- The width of the device is able to take a 25mm tank and still look great
- Has smart VW for estimating optimal firing based on coil resistance. Helps prevent those overfiring situations when you switch your tanks.
- Custom firing curves for wattage and TC in addition to TCR modes. Curves mode really lets you get a custom vape tailored to your tastes.
- The mod is capable of firing up to 100w (80 with 18650) which is more than you would want single battery, just for battery life. This is not a mod for high watt vaping. (comes with a battery adapter for using the 18650 option)
- Has an extra mode button to stay away from those annoying multiple button press menu design seen on many other mods
- Surface picks up fingerprints
- the design aesthetics may not be for everyone
- very slight firing delay
Two Battery Mods
Smok Gx 2/4 Apv Box Mod Rating: 9/10
The Smok GX 2/4 APV (advanced personal vaporizer) box mod seems to be the spiritual successor to the Alien 220W. It is stylish, well designed, and powerful.
When the Alien was first released it was received extremely well. It was the everyday workhorse mod for a large number of vapers including myself. This mod has become started to take over that spot.
It has the ability to fire up to 350W when using four batteries and 220W in two battery mode. The mod features a slim profile squeeze or front firing bar that is natural feeling to depress.
Smok bills the GX2/4 as the smallest two battery mods on the market and when in 4 battery mode it isn't much bigger than some three battery mods.
If you are looking for a powerful mod that is also easy to use and also looks attractive, this may be the mod for you.
- squeeze fired with a slim profile front fire bar (feels natural)
- two battery (220W) and four battery configurations (350W) with four battery door included
- very well designed, sleek and stylish looking , high build quality
- upgraded paint (very smooth like a waxed car) in a variety of colors
- can take 25mm tanks without overhang
- comfortable in the hand
- spring loaded 510 pin
- fire bar is slightly offset in two battery mode and perfectly centered when in four battery mode (may be a con to some)
Smoant Charon 218w Tc Rating: 9/10
The Smoant Charon 218w TC box mod is a very strong performing dual 18650 device. Shaped in a familiar kind of configuration for a two battery device, it comes in gold black, stainless and bronze and has lots of wraps that you can put on the battery door to make it more customized.
Using the Ant218 chipset, this device is able to fire down to 0.1ohm and can handle Ni200, titanium (Ti), stainless steel 316 (Sus316) and nichrome (NCR), as well as TCRs and custom temperature curves (supported through use of software).
Similar to the Battlestar in many ways, the Charon is very fast firing with no real discernible delay between pressing the fire button and getting action.
The menu system is super easy to use and switching modes is a snap.
Overall this is a very good device selection for any vaper looking for a versatile yet easy to use mod.
- very fast firing like the Battlestar with lots of protections built in
- fires down to 0.05ohm and features automatic resistance lock
- solid feeling device with no battery or button rattle (high build quality)
- clicky fire button
- very easy to use menu system and mode switching
- will handle up to 25mm tanks without overhang
- temperature control capable (Ni, Ti, SS) with TCRs for custom temperature control
- firmware upgradeable
- a good (and more affordable) alternative to DNA based devices
- battery venting is fairly prominent
- well fitting, easy to remove battery door with a enjoyable feeling leather wrap
- spring loaded 510
- Smoant products while very good, aren't available at most retailers.
- custom temperature curves are controlled with software instead of on device, but not many people actually mess with curves
Smoant Battlestar 200w Rating: 9/10
The Smoant Battlestar was first released back in the second half of 2016 and has been one of the vape community's favorite two battery mods ever since. It is powerful, feels good in the hand and is good looking.
Able to handle down to 0.1ohms, this mod is fast firing and is able to handle pretty much any build. The Battlestar with go up to 200w in wattage mode but can also handle nichrome, titanium and three types of stainless steel in temperature control mode. It even has TCR for a more custom TC experience.
It was the first two battery mod to feature the faux triangle shape that has become something of a trend. This shape gives it a comfortable hand feel and is easy to fire with the finger or thumb depending on positioning.
- powerful device, fires down to .1 ohms at wattage up to 200w and supports temperature control for Ni, Ti, three types of stainless steel and has TCR for customization
- ergonomic shape that feels good in the hand and can be fired with index finger or thumb based on your hand position
- recessed area around spring loaded 510 pin for handling seepage
- strong build quality and no more button rattle (Thanks Smoant for listening to customers)
- magnetic secured battery door
- usb charging and firmware upgradeable
- reverse battery, low resistance, low input voltage, short circuit, overheating protection
- only fires up to 1.3 ohm but that is low wattage vaping territory and this mod may be overpowered for that situation
Smok Alien 220w Mod Rating: 9/10
This squeeze-fired two-battery mod from SMOK quickly became on of their most popular mods ever for good reason. The Alien has one of the most informative and well designed display screens.
- Two Battery - 220w device with Ni/Ti/SS TC modes as well as TCR
- Squeeze Fired instead of button triggered, an enjoyable feature and welcomed change from just seeing front fire mods
- Most informative and well-layed out display screens we have seen
- easily upgradeable firmware
- aesthetically pleasing with different color accents to match your style
- looks good with 24s and 25s
- secure bottom loading battery compartment
- bottom battery door can be awkward to open
- have seen reports of button bar rattle but have not experienced with pictured unit
Best Tanks (Sub-Ohm, RTA, Clearomizers)
Our favorites for everyday vaping
Clearomizer is a way of describing just your everyday common tank atomizer, which can have a coil pack or a build deck for using your own coils.
Typically when anyone talks about a tank they pretty much are talking about a clearomizer. There are dozens if not hundreds of different models on the market. With the wide variety of designs you can find a tank that will do clouds (probably won't win a competition) or really great flavor.
These are usually of stainless steel construction with the deck at the bottom close to pin with the tank above it, using gravity to resoak the wicks.
Top Sub-Ohm Tanks
Buy the replacement coil cartridge
Aspire Cleito Exo Rating: 9/10
The Cleito EXO is the update to widely popular Cleito sub-ohm tank. Some big changes have been made but this tank still delivers amazing flavor at an amazing price.
The design for the Cleito was very straight forward, as well as traditional, and delivered great results. The EXO got rid of some standard features such as bottom controlled airflow along with the glass tank in favor of top down airflow built right into the PCTG barrel that is impact and chemical resistant. No more breakage and it is also designed to prevent leakage. The new airflow design provides a non-adjustable restricted lung hit that is a similar draw to the Augvape Merlin.
The design of the tank is based around the coil, which uses it as the entire chimney. Aspire altered classic Aspire Cleito coils, which it is still able to use and even comes with one, to have a wider chimney housing. It still contains the same clapton wire but now has a lower resistance and has an extra wicking port.
However when the EXO coil is in place the tank capacity drops from 3.5 ml with the classic coil down to 2 ml making this tank TPD complaint for the U.K. Both coil types perform well, but I prefer the .4 ohm classic coil.
At under $20 for the tank and the coils are widely available thanks to backwards compatability, picking up one of these toppers is an easy choice.
- huge flavor! The clapton wire inside the coil insert really shines.
- smooth draw with a restricted lung hit. A very enjoyable vape.
- comes with a .16 ohm EXO coil and a .4 ohm classic Cleito coil
- no glass to break! This feature is quite nice for the more accident prone among us, believe me.
- uses a delrin sleeve instead of an actual drip tip
- if you are looking for controllable airflow and/or glass check out the classic Aspire Cleito!
Aspire Cleito Sub-Ohm Tank Rating: 9/10
This is a very simple designed sub-ohm tank that delivers plenty of air flow for good vapor production but was designed for max flavor.
The coil uses a vertical spaced clapton coil and acts as the chimney also making the flavor go right off the chart. Coils come in two resistances and are very common, available at pretty much every vape shop.
If you are looking for an affordable, straight forward, direct lung flavor chasing sub-ohm with controllable bottom airflow, this is the tank for you.
- designed give the most flavor!
- The coil pack / coil heads for this tank are widely available and relatively inexpensive.
- simple chimney design that provides plenty of airflow
- since the coil and chimney are connected right to the top cap, the top can heat up but Aspire included a heat sleeve to prevent discomfort.
Best Mouth to Lung Sub-ohm Tank
This tank is perfect for new vapers, ex-smokers, low wattage vapers and mouth to lung (MTL) vapers.
Aspire Nautilus 2 Rating: 9/10
The Nautilus 2 from Aspire is an update to the very popular first version. It uses the same coils (they work well!) and provides the same flavorful mouth to lung (MTL) vape experience that consumers have come to expect from this subohm tank.
- great flavor mouth to lung subohm tank
- perfect subohm tank for new vapers, ex-smokers and low wattage MTL vapers
- comes with 0.7 ohm and 1.8 ohm coils
- coils are widely available and inexpensive compared with other subohm coils
- precise airflow control to dial in performance (really tight draw to very restricted lung hit)
- glass is shrouded to help prevent some accidental breaks
- comes in a matte finish in black, silver, dark grey and red
- prepackaged drip tip seems to provide best fit. other 510s may not fit properly
Sub-Ohm Tank for Clouds
Uwell Crown 3 Rating: 9/10
Version 2 wasn't as well received as the original but now the Uwell Crown 3 has been released and has brought a lot of attention. This tank is a real beast. Amazing flavor, great airflow, lots of vapor. Everyone is talking about how the new version has brought back the glory to the Crown sub-ohm tanks and this may be the best version yet with its new design elements and new parallel coil system.
The Crown 3 is a 24.5mm wide vape tank that can hold up to 5ml of juice. It features an anti-leak top fill system that has two 3mm by 6.5mm fill ports. The system can be effectively shut off by closing the "precision adjustable triple airflow system" that has three 11mm x 2mm bottom airflow slots.
Uwell has included 2 stainless steel (sus316) coils one .25ohm (80-90W) and one .5ohm (70-80W) which are parallel vertical coils with 3 juice channels for even wicking. The Crown 3 coils use the new "plug and pull" system that has no threads! Just unscrew the bottom of the tank, pull the coil, plug in the replacement and that's it.
Another feature is a two piece locking system, which consists of a locking nut and key, that keeps the tank from coming apart when unscrewing the top or bottom. Interesting but if you don't like using it, you can just remove it as it is not necessary.
Overall, this a very good sub-ohm tank (under 100w) that goes well with two battery mod.
- Great Flavor!
- Lots of vapor production!
- coils are super easy to replace and have a very short break in
- The build quality of this tank is high. It has a really well thought out design and excellent machining.
- has a minimum juice indicator on the side of the chimney / coil housing
- comes with 2 SS (SUS316) coils (.25ohm and .5 ohm), a nice 510 but is easily replaceable, one replacement quartz glass, a uwell crown key (a tool for locking the tank to prevent disassembly) and the usual spare parts
- The top fill system always seems to have a bit of juice on it but not a big deal.
- The coils may be slightly underrated. They seem to perform best at the upper end of the range instead of the lower end as we see with other sub-ohm tanks. However start at the lower end and ramp up the watts to find the sweet spot.
The Big Baby is a huge hit from Smok in the sub-ohm tank world and has even made its way into many of the sub-ohm starter kits now being offered by Smok. It uses the v8 baby line of coils that are widely available in many different ohms and coil counts which gives the vaper a wide degree of control over the vape.
Smok Tfv8 Big Baby Beast Rating: 9/10
Smok offers the Big Baby Beast which is a 24mm tank that is right between the Baby and the Cloud Beast.
This tank is hugely popular and is featured in several of the sub-ohm kits currently being offered by Smok.
It produces huge, dense clouds and pretty good flavor which can all be customized thanks to a huge variety of coil options available in the V8 Baby line of coils. Low ohm, high ohm, huge airflow, restricted airflow, multiple coils are all available.
This is a high performance, well designed sub-ohm tank that comes with:
- swivel, top fill cap
- comes with 2 Baby coils with various resistances (.15 quad and .2 sextuple)
- replacement coil inserts are widely available
- RBA deck (an add-on that comes with tank but has to be purchased separately if the tank is part of a kit)
- lots of airflow
- drip tip adapter
need to switch glass to use the RBA section
The Cloud Beast is targeted directly at vapers who are just looking for a huge tank that produces some gigantic clouds.
Smok Tfv8 Cloud Beast Rating: 8/10
The TFV8 Cloud Beast is a Sub-Ohm tank that is designed specifically for huge clouds. The Beast is a large tank (24.5mm) that takes large coil packs or can use the included velocity style RBA deck.
- Definitely a cloud chaser tank - Huge Clouds and lots of airflow
- designed for really dense vapor making the flavor decent for a cloud focused tank
- Top fill (swivel top) with 6ml capacity
- comes with an octuple coil, quadruple coil and a velocity style RBA take for using your own coils
- Air flow holes on the RBA deck are huge letting you get just as good of performance on your own build as with the coil packs, easy build and cotton tucks in similar to the Herakles
- Coil heads can take higher wattages without feeling like it, TFV8 performs best at over 90 watts!
- can get a little whistley when the air is shut down
RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizer)
Build your own coil and save money
Rebuildable Tank Atomizers (RTAs) are the perfect way to get a really nice custom vape and save a few bucks while you are at it.
An RTA is definitely the way to go if you are tired of having to spend five bucks (or more) at the vape shop every time your coils get burnt out. Some RTAs do have the optional coil pack insert that replaces the deck if you aren't ready to give up the easy factor just yet.
Wotofo Troll Rta Rating: 9/10
This RTA from Wotofo is another home run in their current line up to compete in the 24mm market. Great Flavor and lots of vapor!
- Innovative Post Design - Stacked T post that has wide milled post holes for complex wire builds with a German-made Peak Insulator
- Provides great flavor due to post design, shorter chimney and Kennedy style airflow
- Lots of vapor production
- Steel Threaded top cap to prevent stripping
- Less leakage than we have seen with other tanks
- (Not much of a Con) - Can't switch drip tips, however built in one is really good
- posts use philips screws instead of allen key grubs
Obs Engine Rating: 9/10
This is probably one of most well regarded tanks of the past year. It features top down airflow, top fill and a familiar two post velocity deck with innovative bottom wicking. Huge bonus: No bottom juice seepage!
- innovative, controllable top down airflow and chamber/chimney design that provides dense, flavorful vapor
- build deck design features the familiar velocity style two post deck but has fast bottom wicking with the deck locking into the chimney. This provides juice coming around and under the chimney. This deck inspired the Troll RTA.
- The juice fill port is located behind a sliding ring at the top of the tank (5+ml capacity)
- These design elements combined perform admirably and NO LEAKS! The top down airflow prevents flooding seen on bottom airflow tanks but there is no seepage either.
bottom of tank can heat up if heavily chain vaping due to no bottom air port
Enhanced flavor for flavor chasers
Flavor RTAs typically have a different design than the more general use tanks or cloud chasing tanks. With a flavor RTA you are looking for a tank that has a smaller chamber and a shorter chimney. This design provides a nice warm flavorful vape without the headaches of a RDA.
Wotofo Serpent Smm Rating: 9/10
The Wotofo Serpent x Suck My Mod (SMM) RTA is a 24mm, single coil flavor tank that is the result of a collaboration between Wotofo and vape celeb Suck My Mod (SMM).
At first glance, the design is reminiscent of the highly regarded dual coil flavor rta, The Troll RTA. It has the same basic shape and look as the Troll but there are several differences including the drip tip no longer being part of the top cap.
Far and away the most exciting thing about the RTA besides the performance is the build deck. The deck is a two post, single coil build deck that has the side airflow ports milled right into the posts. Each post has a slot on each side for securing a coil lead with top mounted phillips screws and is able to take coils regardless on the direction the coil is wrapped.
- designed for flavor
- high build quality and innovative single coil build deck
- very straightforward to build as the deck can take coils wrapped in either direction
- top fill tank with two large kidney shaped fill ports (slots)
- includes a tapered 12mm ULTEM drip tip and is 510 drip tip compatible
- comes with 2 spare glass tanks pieces, japanese cotton, 3 prebuilt clapton coils and some spare parts
- Not a fan of the included prebuilt claptons that were included as they have a flat wire core and wrapping wire is really tight.
Geekvape Ammit 25 Rating: 9/10
The Ammit 25 is an update to its well received RTA line of flavor chasing tanks. It features a new two-post single coil deck system and airflow design.
The tank is a 25mm tank as the name suggests. A chimney piece and larger glass are including to transform the tank from 2ml to 5ml just like we have seen with the VandyVape Kylin.
This RTA pairs well with fused klapton wire builds.
- Great flavor! There isn't much extra space in the chimney leading to a tasty vape experience.
- Smooth airflow overall. Bottom and side airflow hit the coil directly but all those channels restrict the air a bit.
- The build style is easy and similar to other single coil rtas (the posts just have built in airflow ports). Slide one lead in one post to position then swing the other lead into the other post, clip.
- wide wicking slots for preventing dry hits
- large kidney shaped top fill juice slots
- high build quality as always from GeekVape
- includes a 510 drip but can take an 810 (goon style) by switching to included 810 sized top cap
- doesn't come with an 810 even though it includes a different top cap which is strange
- Not much forgiveness in the spacing between the deck and chimney as the wires have to be clipped very close to post screws to prevent a short
Vandyvape Kylin Rta V2 (Flavor) Rating: 8/10
The Kylin RTA from Vandy Vape is a fantastic flavor chasing tank that has several really stand out features that make this a pretty solid pick for a lot of vapers out there.
- The Kylin converts from 2ml (max flavor from the shorter chimney) to 6ml with the included chimney extension and larger included glass.
- Its gold plated postless build deck can handle dual or single coils while looking great.
- The wicking channel is straight forward to pack and it is the right size for even flow.
- The bottom and side airflows on the deck provide really great flavor.
- The bottom airflow has a clicky control ring and doesn't whistle when you close it.
- great flavor and smooth airflow
- The deck is great to look at but provides an innovative air flow design (bottom and under-side) for great flavor
- takes claptons well in single or dual coil builds. (Single builds will require larger diameter coils to have enough cotton to fill wicking channel)
- very big kidney shaped top fill ports w/ large notch styled knurling along the top
- multiple RDA style wide bore drips which are all pretty good
- 510 adapter included in case you have a favorite tip
- doesn't whistle
- some people reported leaks on the first version of these tanks which has been remedied according to the manufacturer. I haven't experienced leaking this issue with the new version.
- as the deck is postless and vertical, you may have to clip the leads on the coils a couple of times before get the right distance
- recommend the stainless version as paint can chip from colored versions
- recent controversy with the V1 may turn off some vapers
Augvape Merlin Rating: 9/10
The Augvape Merlin is a single coil, bottom airflow, top-fill flavor RTA that provides a restricted lung hit, smooth draw and dense, delicious flavorful clouds.
- Great Flavor RTA!
- easy build velocity deck
- single coil but can hold two micro coils if built that way
- bottom airflow with 2 settings
- Provides restricted lung hits (along with some dense clouds) and mouth to lung (bottom airflow reducer)
- provides the perfect lower wattage vape (at around 20w and a high mah battery can vape all day)
- Top fill
- juice flow control could be more independant
- fit against base can make airflow adjustment tight
Best Value RTA
Great features at low price
Vaping on a budget? There is always some company that is looking to edge its way in to the market by appealing to people that want some nicer features, such as an easy to use velocity build deck, but don't want to pay for the name or the fancy box.
Toboeco 25mm Super Rta Rating: 8/10
This large RTA (25mm) offering from Tobeco brings the features of more popular RTAs like the Griffin at a great price; under 20 bucks!
- Budget Vaping Friendly! Great price for the features and performance
- easy build
- clouds and flavor
- stuck with tip that doubles as the tank cap
- some drilled holes aren't centered but doesn't impact function
Best RDAs for flavor and cloud chasing
Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers (RDAs) are designed for more hardcore hobby vapers. RDAs require more attention than a tradional tank style atomizer and require the vaper to manually drip more juice on the wicks / tank well to keep dry hits at bay, hence the Dripping in the name.
The appeal is a super customized rig that performs the way you want. Huge Clouds, great flavor or both.
Geekvape Peerless Special Edition Rda Rating: 10/10
Geekvape released the 24mm Peerless RDA earlier this year and quickly released the Special Edition in stainless steel two months later. This version fixes the customer complaints about the original making this RDA one of the years best. Good job, GeekVape!
The Geekvape Peerless Special Edition RDA provides a great, flavorful vape which features highly controllable side airflow.
One thing that this RDA has that can't be found elsewhere is the awesome build deck which has a three terminal per post, two post design. It has smaller terminals on the top for tradition round wire builds and wider slots lower down that can handle thicker and more exotic coils, which is great.
This RDA is probably one of the best RDAs out there just due to fact that it is so versatile. It can handle pretty much any build from single coil round wire all the way up to dual coil instagram style builds and still perform like a champ.
- great flavor and provides a really nice vape
- single coil capable!
- stainless steel construction instead of aluminum (as on the Peerless standard edition), that comes in stainless steel, black and gold
- 810 fitted top cap with two goon style drip tips (one black delrin and one PEI)
- affordable price with premium performance
- great two post, triple terminal per post build deck with top hardened grub screws (nice!) that can handle big and small coil builds
- deep juice well
- lots of side airflow via airflow holes and cutouts in the top cap which is capable of single airflow
- high quality machining
- comes with squonking pin
- no 510 drip tip adapter which may not be a con for everyone
Goon Rda Rating: 10/10
528 customs brings the Goon RDA which has quickly become on of the most favored RDAs on the market thanks to great flavor and a clamp style build deck.
- Short Chamber that delivers amazing flavor!
- Clamp Style build deck making exotic coil builds easier to accomplish
- great, smooth, controllable airflow for dual or single coil builds
- Flat top cap to limit spit back
- Slight Con - brass top clamps are prone to slight bending on thicker coil builds. Flip top plate over on next build to restraighten.
- Different build versions are slightly different prices, black or brass a bit more than the copper and stainless steel versions
Vandyvape Govad Rda Rating: 9/10
The Govad RDA is 24mm and is a very stand out addition to the vape market.
The Govad has a single coil oriented two post spring loaded clamp style build deck with top phillips screws. The deck can accommodate fairly wide builds and can hold larger coils easily. Having the spring loaded clamps makes building this deck super straight forward.
VandyVape included 3 goon style 810 drips (really wide / thick, medium which is preinstalled and a tall / thin tip) and also was kind enough to include a 510 adapter for vapers that already have a favorite tip.
This flavor monster has a single bottom airflow (fed by two bottom ports) along with 6 side airflow ports (however only 4 are available at any time). This RDA can really turn up the flavor by shutting off all of the side airflow and just utilizing the bottom airflow. With that may airflow ports, lots of configurations are available for which will make any vaper happy.
- outstanding flavor
- super simple to build and is perfect for more exotic single coil builds
- high build quality with good tension on the o-rings
- highly configurable airflow to get a custom vape and perfect amount of vapor
- it has a deep juice well which can hold 1.3ml of juice (a large amount for an RDA)
- restricted lung hit all the way to full lung hit
- 3 included 810 drip tips and an include 510 adapter, which is appreciated
- have to take off top to drip, can't just drip down the top cap without getting some leakage due to the way everything is packed into this design
Obs Cheetah V2 Rating: 9/10
The Cheetah V2 from OBS is the new version of their RDA brought by an innovative company probably best known for its home run RTA the OBS Engine.
Overall, this is quite a good RDA. It has everything we have come to expect; great flavor, smooth side airflow, and looks good but it has something new. An super awesome deck that can take pretty much any (dual coil) build.
OBS definitely had the builder in mind when they designed this sweet deck that is a dream to build on. It is has wide ports for the top lead and very wide bottom clamps for the other lead, tightened down with top mounted post screws (phillips).
- awesome hybrid clamp style build deck
- great flavor (@ half airflow for me)
- smooth barrel top cap interaction
- easily controlled side airflow and the port width is just the right size
- knurled top cap with included goon style 810 drip tip
- only takes the goon style (810) drip tips - no 510 adapter included
- the outside edge of the top section could slightly taller for more surface area which would give a more consistent grip.
Wotofo Lush Plus Rating: 9/10
The completely redesigned Lush Plus from Wotofo is their new flavor chasing RDA and it is a big hit. The Lush is a 24mm topper that is designed to be super simple to use and be ready to go right out of the box. The kennedy-style airflow utilizes two bottom airflow channels on each side. The posts now feature a y-shaped two post deck that makes building pretty easy even with more exotic coils.
- huge flavor at a great price!
- all airflow is set - no more trying to find the sweet spot
- easy to build, even when using wider builds such as fused claptons
- offset, wide post holes - the phillips top screws work well here
- chimney is shaped for easy removal for adding more juice
- wide bore drip tip is a proprietary size
- bottom airflow takes space that would normally be used for juice
Wotofo Troll V2 Rating: 8/10
Wotofo has made some significant upgrades to the Troll for version 2 making it one of the best, affordable RDAs. Significant airflow, deep well, and deck improvements provide a mix of great flavor and huge clouds.
- Huge Vapor Production for dense clouds
- great airflow and air control options
- easy to control airflow for good flavor
- deep juice well
- easy to build and use
o-rings and fit can be tight (can counter by lubing with a bit of juice)
A RDA with a tank best of both worlds
RDTAs (rebuildable drip tank atomizers) are a newer type of hybrid that takes its design cues from both RTAs and RDAs. Instead of the tank at the top, it is at the bottom as if replacing the well on an RDA, where the wicks sit in some limited amount of juice, with a tank.
The result is the performance, airflow and flavor reminiscent for RDA with out the constant dripping.
Wotofo Serpent Rdta Rating: 9/10
Wotofo has released a RDTA to complement its current offering of fantastic flavor toppers and since this is single coil, it is also called Serpent.
This 22mm, 2.5ml RDTA has a lot of goodies built in: single coil, easy to build clamp style deck, bottom airflow and an simple to use side fill method.
If you are looking for an amazing single coil flavor tank and aren't wanting to drip, this may be the right one for you.
- Flavor country!
- dense cloud production despite having the one air inlet
- easy side fill port with secondary air relief
- the clamp style deck is super simple to use and flat clapton wires work well
- phillips secured clamp will accept up to 3mm wide coils
- wide cotton wicking ports
- comes with a wide bore delrin drip tip along with an ultem adaptor and a stainless steel tip
- since this RDTA only has the one side placed air slot, it can sound louder than two slot toppers
- filling works better with the plastic juice bottles (unicorn or otherwise) than with glass dripper
Geekvape Avocado 24mm Rating: 8/10
This is an interesting offering from GeekVape. This single/dual coil RDTA, is a little different but provides great flavor and plenty of vapor.
- Dual or Single Coil Options
- Plenty of air flow
- Nice, wide Drip tip included
- clear or frosted glass, replacement glass is cheap
the wicking system works best with the single coil mode
While many consider the Pharaoh to be an RDA it has a 2ml bottom tank which the wicks dip into making it more on an RDTA to us. This tank has an awesome clamp style build deck which is perfect for more exotic coil builds. This tank provides great all around performance making it a great choice for builders and flavor chasers alike.
Pharaoh Dripper Tank Rating: 9/10
A well designed (RipTrippers), builder favorite RDA that performs well and provides an easy build experience provides a great overall experience.
- Single or dual coil with spring loaded clamps makes exotic builds super easy. Similar to the Goon RDA.
- Smooth, controllable bottom airflow, design prevents leaking and flooding as long as it stays upright
- 25mm with 2ml capacity
- Great Flavor, good vapor production
- built by Digiflavor based on RiPTrippers design
Slight Con - has a bottom tank similar to an RDTA, so you have to refill bottom tank instead of just dripping through the top cap as with most other RDAs. Holds 2mls so not a big deal
Best Sub-Ohm Starter Kits
Smok Gx2/4 Bigbabybeast Starter Kit Rating: 9/10
The Smok GX2/4 is a interesting starter kit that features the highly regarded TFV8 Big Baby Beast sub-ohm tank and is a convertible vape mod that takes 2 or 4 18650 batteries.
This kit is targeting vapers who want a powerful device that has a more slim profile but is able to have more capability and capacity when needed. The GX2/4, mod in particular, will easily become a go to for a lot of vapers looking to replace their Alien.
This is a really sleek kit that comes in a whole range of rich colors. The paint used on this kit seems to have come leaps and bounds from earlier Smok products. The paint feels very smooth, similar to a waxed car.
The kit includes two battery doors; one for two battery mode and a larger one that holds an extra two batteries, doubling battery life and maximum wattage increasing to 350W from 220W. The mod also supports all the major temperature control materials (Ni, Ti, Sus) and supports custom TCRs.
The form factor goes from one of the smallest two battery mods on the market, thinner than the Alien 220W but roughly the same height, to diamond shaped when holding all four batteries.
The mod is front firing using a squeeze bar just like the Alien, however the fire bar is a more slim design, only taking up half of the width of the device. Both shapes fit well in the hand and firing the mod is comfortable in both positions, however the fire bar seems to be more front facing in four button mode.
A bright OLED display on the face of the mod has a well designed, easy to read, data packed screen. Adjustments to the device are made with two up/down button just like normal.
The Big Baby Beast needs little introduction as it is a staple of sub-ohm vaping at this point, particularly with the Smok starter kits. It it indeed a beast of a sub-ohm tank, featuring a easy to use top fill system, a wide variety of coil options and produces huge plumes of very saturated, flavorful vapor.
- comes with highly regarded TFV8 Big Baby Beast subohm tank (has a very saturated, flavorful vape and big clouds)
- small form factor in two battery mode (Smok bills as "smallest") and will take 25mm tanks
- Powerful, squeeze fired mod (220W in two battery and 350W in four) and even feels good to fire with right thumb
- accurate temperature control (TC) with TCR
- tuneable TCR for temperature control
- High build and design quality
- easy firmware upgrade
- bright, easy to read OLED display with a lot of data
- nice paint job on the mod with matching tank and is available in wide variety of colors
- hinge free, easy transform battery door system (with two and four battery mode doors included)
- no built in battery charging which may be a con for some but it is far safer to charge on a standalone battery charger
- fire bar is more aligned in four battery mode than two battery mode but still comfortable to fire
Smok Al85 Alien Baby 85w Tc Starter Kit Rating: 9/10
SMOK announced they were creating a smaller version of the insanely popular Alien mod, and the vape community went bananas in anticipation. Whatever type of vaper can use the SMOK Alien AL85 Kit it does not matter if you are a new vaper or a novice. AL85 Kit consists of AL85 mod and TFV8 Baby tank.
- small, compact design with a comfortable hand feel
- easy to use, squeeze fire
- the screen has lots of data and is easy to read
- secure single battery compartment
- sub-ohm tank (Baby Beast) is a strong performer with widely available coils packs
Lack of battery venting
Best 18650 batteries, battery chargers and battery wraps
18650 batteries are a far and away the most common battery used by mods on the market.
Some mods have pass through charging built in but this feature typically is very poor and can lead to the mod breaking down over time. Most of the USB ports on mods are for upgrading the firmware only and is just plain safer to avoid using built in charging to keep from getting in a bad habit.
We strongly recommend getting a multiple battery charger for safety and convenience.
Best General Usage Batteries
Mid Range Wattage Vaping with Decent Battery Life
Lg Hg2 20a 3000mah 18650 Rating: 9/10
Often referred to as the Brownies, the HG2 provides a great mix of long lasting life (3000mah) and a suprising 20A continuous drain that will suit most vapers needs.
- 20A continuous drain
- very popular and highly regarded
- Can also come in a three pack for savings
Lg He2 18650 2500mah 20a Rating: 8/10
Low Wattage / Long Lasting Batteries
Lower Continuous Drain (A) - Higher Capacity (mAh)
Samsung 30q 3000mah 15a Rating: 9/10
The Samsung 30Q is a great 3000mah that provides long battery life for low wattage all day vaping.
- Long battery life
- Mooch has tested this battery to be 20A, higher than the 15A advertised by Samsung
Best Battery Charger
Efest Luc V4 Battery Charger Rating: 9/10
This high quality, 4-channel battery charger will charge most 3.7V Li-ion or LiMn batteries including 18650 and 26650 at variable power rates of 0.5A, 1A and even 2A.
- 4-channel, variable power modes
- has additional USB output that can charge most consumer electronics
Built in safety features:
- reverse polarity protection
- short circuit protection
- over-current protection (will stop chargin when batteries are full - HUGE)
- Zero voltage activation function