If you're looking to quit smoking or the right choice of vape pen, mod, or tank we have the best buying recommendations from vaping pros. The vape industry is constantly innovating and evolving and we will update this guide frequently.
Quit smoking with Vaping
Easiest way to still get nicotine and improve your health and wealth
The hardest habit for most people in their entire life will be to quit smoking. Finding a way to replace the addiction like that to nicotine is very difficult. Vaping? Patches? Gum? Go cold turkey? Switch to coffee? Eat candy and get fat?
Recent research has indicated that e-cigs are the most effective way to quit smoking, even if you don't break your nicotine addiction.
Switching to vaping from traditional analog cigarettes has been found by the UK government to be at least 95% safer than smoking. The vaper can control how much nicotine they intake without getting all of the horrible byproducts and side effects of smoking.
The easiest and fastest way to switch to vaping with with a vape starter kit.
Innokin Endura T18 Rating: 9/10
Fantastic mouth to lung draw for smokers (ex-smokers) and those wishing to quit or switch to vaping.
Eleaf Pico Starter Kit Rating: 9/10
- Perfect size for traveling, on the go vaping
- good hand feel
- familiar styling and interface
- excellent tank pairing, capable of mouth to lung and direct lung
- good choice for new vapers
front button can be a little awkward for larger hands
tank only holds 2ml of liquid
- Spring Loaded 510 Connection
- Upgradeable Firmware
- Full Temperature Control Output
- Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel
- Three Memory TCR Mode
- 200 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit Range
Best Mods for Vaping
Best vaporizer box mods
Selecting the right mod depends on the role the mod will be filling. If you are at home, on the road, at work, looking for a stealthy light-weight mod or a high power TC mod for huge clouds, head over to the mod page to find the best mod for you. Some mods can meet every role and some can excel at a few.
New vapers that currently have no gear or are looking to get into vaping from smoking are going to best served by getting a full size vape starter kit. Once vaping turns into more of a lifestyle choice or hobby, upgrading piecemeal is the way to go.
Single Battery Mod
Vaporesso Nebula Rating: 8/10
The Nebula from Vaporesso is a single battery mod (capable of using either standard 18650 or the wider 26650). It features the new OMNI board which is capable of a bunch of cool features, such as custom firing curves in both wattage and TC mods, in addition to features that vapers have come to expect.
- It is small. Particularly for a mod capable of taking a 26650, easily fitting in the hand.
- Ergonomic design with comfortable hand feel. Has a pleasant feeling textured back plate and trigger front firing button.
- The width of the device is able to take a 25mm tank and still look great
- Has smart VW for estimating optimal firing based on coil resistance. Helps prevent those overfiring situations when you switch your tanks.
- Custom firing curves for wattage and TC in addition to TCR modes. Curves mode really lets you get a custom vape tailored to your tastes.
- The mod is capable of firing up to 100w (80 with 18650) which is more than you would want single battery, just for battery life. This is not a mod for high watt vaping. (comes with a battery adapter for using the 18650 option)
- Has an extra mode button to stay away from those annoying multiple button press menu design seen on many other mods
- Surface picks up fingerprints
- the design aesthetics may not be for everyone
- very slight firing delay
Two Battery Mod
Smok Alien 220w Mod Rating: 9/10
This squeeze-fired two-battery mod from SMOK quickly became on of their most popular mods ever for good reason. The Alien has one of the most informative and well designed display screens.
- Two Battery - 220w device with Ni/Ti/SS TC modes as well as TCR
- Squeeze Fired instead of button triggered, an enjoyable feature
- Most informative, well-layed out display screens we have seen
- easily upgradeable firmware
- aesthetically pleasing with different color accents to match your style
- secure bottom loading battery compartment
bottom battery door can be awkward to open
Three Battery Mod
Wismec Reuleaux Rx200 Rating: 9/10
- Ni/Ti/SS TC Modes, Wattage Mode
- 510 Spring Loaded Contact Pin
- Resistance Range for TC: 0.05 - 1.0 ohm -for VW: 0.1 - 3.5 ohm
- Upgradeable Firmware
- Reverse Polarity Battery Protection in addition to other standard safety protections
Our favorites for everyday vaping
Clearomizer is a way of describing just your everyday common tank atomizer, which can have a coil pack or a build deck for using your own coils.
Typically when anyone talks about a tank they pretty much are talking about a clearomizer. There are dozens if not hundreds of different models on the market. With the wide variety of designs you can find a tank that will do clouds (probably won't win a competition) or really great flavor.
These are usually of stainless steel construction with the deck at the bottom close to pin with the tank above it, using gravity to resoak the wicks.
Top Sub-Ohm Tanks
Buy the replacement coil cartridge
Aspire Cleito Sub-Ohm Tank Rating: 8/10
This is a very simple designed sub-ohm tank that delivers plenty of air flow for good vapor production as well as good flavor.
- The coil pack / coil heads for this tank are widely available and relatively inexpensive.
- simple chimney design that provides plenty of airflow and good flavor
Best Mouth to Lung Sub-ohm Tank
This tank is perfect for new vapers, ex-smokers, low wattage vapers and mouth to lung (MTL) vapers.
Aspire Nautilus 2 Rating: 9/10
The Nautilus 2 from Aspire is an update to the very popular first version. It uses the same coils (they work well!) and provides the same flavorful mouth to lung (MTL) vape experience that consumers have come to expect from this subohm tank.
- great flavor mouth to lung subohm tank
- perfect subohm tank for new vapers, ex-smokers and low wattage MTL vapers
- comes with 0.7 ohm and 1.8 ohm coils
- coils are widely available and inexpensive compared with other subohm coils
- precise airflow control to dial in performance (really tight draw to very restricted lung hit)
- glass is shrouded to help prevent some accidental breaks
- comes in a matte finish in black, silver, dark grey and red
- prepackaged drip tip seems to provide best fit. other 510s may not fit properly
Sub-Ohm Tank for Clouds
The Big Baby is a huge hit from Smok in the sub-ohm tank world and has even made its way into many of the sub-ohm starter kits now being offered by Smok. It uses the v8 baby line of coils that are widely available in many different ohms and coil counts which gives the vaper a wide degree of control over the vape.
Smok Tfv8 Big Baby Beast Rating: 9/10
Smok offers the Big Baby Beast which is a 24mm tank that is right between the Baby and the Cloud Beast.
This tank is hugely popular and is featured in several of the sub-ohm kits currently being offered by Smok.
It produces huge, dense clouds and pretty good flavor which can all be customized thanks to a huge variety of coil options available in the V8 Baby line of coils. Low ohm, high ohm, huge airflow, restricted airflow, multiple coils are all available.
This is a high performance, well designed sub-ohm tank that comes with:
- swivel, top fill cap
- comes with 2 Baby coils with various resistances (.15 quad and .2 sextuple)
- replacement coil inserts are widely available
- RBA deck (an add-on that comes with tank but has to be purchased separately if the tank is part of a kit)
- lots of airflow
- drip tip adapter
need to switch glass to use the RBA section
The Cloud Beast is targeted directly at vapers who are just looking for a huge tank that produces some gigantic clouds.
Smok Tfv8 Cloud Beast Rating: 8/10
The TFV8 Cloud Beast is a Sub-Ohm tank that is designed specifically for huge clouds. The Beast is a large tank (24.5mm) that takes large coil packs or can use the included velocity style RBA deck.
- Definitely a cloud chaser tank - Huge Clouds and lots of airflow
- designed for really dense vapor making the flavor decent for a cloud focused tank
- Top fill (swivel top) with 6ml capacity
- comes with an octuple coil, quadruple coil and a velocity style RBA take for using your own coils
- Air flow holes on the RBA deck are huge letting you get just as good of performance on your own build as with the coil packs, easy build and cotton tucks in similar to the Herakles
- Coil heads can take higher wattages without feeling like it, TFV8 performs best at over 90 watts!
- can get a little whistley when the air is shut down
RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizer)
Build your own coil and save money
Rebuildable Tank Atomizers (RTAs) are the perfect way to get a really nice custom vape and save a few bucks while you are at it.
An RTA is definitely the way to go if you are tired of having to spend five bucks (or more) at the vape shop every time your coils get burnt out. Some RTAs do have the optional coil pack insert that replaces the deck if you aren't ready to give up the easy factor just yet.
Wotofo Troll Rta Rating: 9/10
This RTA from Wotofo is another home run in their current line up to compete in the 24mm market. Great Flavor and lots of vapor!
- Innovative Post Design - Stacked T post that has wide milled post holes for complex wire builds with a German-made Peak Insulator
- Provides great flavor due to post design, shorter chimney and Kennedy style airflow
- Lots of vapor production
- Steel Threaded top cap to prevent stripping
- Less leakage than we have seen with other tanks
- (Not much of a Con) - Can't switch drip tips, however built in one is really good
- posts use philips screws instead of allen key grubs
Obs Engine Rating: 9/10
- innovative, controllable top down airflow and chamber/chimney design that provides dense, flavorful vapor
- build deck design features the familiar velocity style two post deck but has fast bottom wicking with the deck locking into the chimney. This provides juice coming around and under the chimney. This deck inspired the Troll RTA.
- The juice fill port is located behind a sliding ring at the top of the tank (5+ml capacity)
- These design elements combined perform admirably and NO LEAKS! The top down airflow prevents flooding seen on bottom airflow tanks but there is no seepage either.
bottom of tank can heat up if heavily chain vaping due to no bottom air port
Enhanced flavor for flavor chasers
Flavor RTAs typically have a different design than the more general use tanks or cloud chasing tanks. With a flavor RTA you are looking for a tank that has a smaller chamber and a shorter chimney. This design provides a nice warm flavorful vape without the headaches of a RDA.
Augvape Merlin Rating: 9/10
- Great Flavor RTA!
- easy build velocity deck
- single coil but can hold two micro coils if built that way
- bottom airflow with 2 settings
- Provides restricted lung hits (along with some dense clouds) and mouth to lung (bottom airflow reducer)
- provides the perfect lower wattage vape (at around 20w and a high mah battery can vape all day)
- Top fill
- juice flow control could be more independant
- fit against base can make airflow adjustment tight
Wotofo Serpent Mini Rating: 9/10
Greatest value RTA
Great features at low price
Vaping on a budget? There is always some company that is looking to edge its way in to the market by appealing to people that want some nicer features, such as an easy to use velocity build deck, but don't want to pay for the name or the fancy box.
Toboeco 25mm Super Rta Rating: 8/10
Best RDAs for flavor and cloud chasing
Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers (RDAs) are designed for more hardcore hobby vapers. RDAs require more attention than a tradional tank style atomizer and require the vaper to manually drip more juice on the wicks / tank well to keep dry hits at bay, hence the Dripping in the name.
The appeal is a super customized rig that performs the way you want. Huge Clouds, great flavor or both.
Goon Rda Rating: 10/10
528 customs brings the Goon RDA which has quickly become on of the most favored RDAs on the market thanks to great flavor and a clamp style build deck.
- Short Chamber that delivers amazing flavor!
- Clamp Style build deck making exotic coil builds easier to accomplish
- great, smooth, controllable airflow for dual or single coil builds
- Flat top cap to limit spit back
- Slight Con - brass top clamps are prone to slight bending on thicker coil builds. Flip top plate over on next build to restraighten.
- Different build versions are slightly different prices, black or brass a bit more than the copper and stainless steel versions
Wotofo Lush Plus Rating: 9/10
The completely redesigned Lush Plus from Wotofo is their new flavor chasing RDA and it is a big hit. The Lush is a 24mm topper that is designed to be super simple to use and be ready to go right out of the box. The kennedy-style airflow utilizes two bottom airflow channels on each side. The posts now feature a y-shaped two post deck that makes building pretty easy even with more exotic coils.
- huge flavor at a great price!
- all airflow is set - no more trying to find the sweet spot
- easy to build, even when using wider builds such as fused claptons
- offset, wide post holes - the phillips top screws work well here
- chimney is shaped for easy removal for adding more juice
- wide bore drip tip is a proprietary size
- bottom airflow takes space that would normally be used for juice
Wotofo Troll V2 Rating: 8/10
A RDA with a tank best of both worlds
RDTAs (rebuildable drip tank atomizers) are a newer type of hybrid that takes its design cues from both RTAs and RDAs. Instead of the tank at the top, it is at the bottom as if replacing the well on an RDA, where the wicks sit in some limited amount of juice, with a tank.
The result is the performance, airflow and flavor reminiscent for RDA with out the constant dripping.
Geekvape Avocado 24mm Rating: 8/10
While many consider the Pharaoh to be an RDA it has a 2ml bottom tank which the wicks dip into making it more on an RDTA to us. This tank has an awesome clamp style build deck which is perfect for more exotic coil builds. This tank provides great all around performance making it a great choice for builders and flavor chasers alike.
Pharaoh Dripper Tank Rating: 9/10
A well designed (RipTrippers), builder favorite RDA that performs well and provides an easy build experience provides a great overall experience.
- Single or dual coil with spring loaded clamps makes exotic builds super easy. Similar to the Goon RDA.
- Smooth, controllable bottom airflow, design prevents leaking and flooding as long as it stays upright
- 25mm with 2ml capacity
- Great Flavor, good vapor production
- built by Digiflavor based on RiPTrippers design
Slight Con - has a bottom tank similar to an RDTA, so you have to refill bottom tank instead of just dripping through the top cap as with most other RDAs. Holds 2mls so not a big deal
Best 18650 batteries, battery chargers and battery wraps
18650 batteries are a far and away the most common battery used by mods on the market.
Some mods have pass through charging built in but this feature typically is very poor and can lead to the mod breaking down over time. Most of the USB ports on mods are for upgrading the firmware only and is just plain safer to avoid using built in charging to keep from getting in a bad habit.
We strongly recommend getting a multiple battery charger for safety and convenience.
Best General Usage Batteries
Mid Range Wattage Vaping with Decent Battery Life
Lg Hg2 20a 3000mah 18650 Rating: 9/10
Often referred to as the Brownies, the HG2 provides a great mix of long lasting life (3000mah) and a suprising 20A continuous drain that will suit most vapers needs.
- 20A continuous drain
- very popular and highly regarded
- Can also come in a three pack for savings
Lg He2 18650 2500mah 20a Rating: 8/10
Supports a sustained load of 20A and a max pulse of 35A.