Best 18650 Batteries
Some batteries are better than others
Vaping is a very personalized experience and not every battery is the right pick for a given situation. For instance if you are using a high ohm / low wattage build, you might not pick the same battery as you would for some low sub ohm / high wattage vaping.
Batteries are typically designed in 3 ways:
- High Continous Drain Rating (A) / Low Capacity (mAh)
- Low Continous Drain / High Capacity
- Mid Continous Drain / Mid Capacity (a good general usage battery that is a good fit for a large portion of vapers)
Most of the time you might pick something right in the middle of high capacity and high amperage for a good general use battery.
Check out our battery safety guide for some more in depth detail that explains Amperage and battery capacity as well as how to stay safe with regulated vape mods as well as unregulated mech mods and more.
Best 18650s for general usage vaping
solid, all around picks
These general use batteries usually are good middle of the road picks that can suit low powered all the way to higher (but not the highest) wattage situations. They provide a good mix of battery life and amperage.
Lg He2 18650 2500mah 20a Rating: 8/10
Supports a sustained load of 20A and a max pulse of 35A.
Batteries for High Wattage (Regulated Mods)
or Low Sub-Ohm Unregulated
The higher wattage ranges on regulated mods or lower ohm builds on unregulated need to be primarily concerned with the continuous drain rating on their battery selection.
Batteries that are capable of putting out more power without becoming unsafe are an absolute must.
The trade off for having a higher continuous drain (A) is that the battery capacity is not high.
Lg Hb6 18650 1500mah 30a Rating: 9/10
The LG HB6 is a very highly regarded 1500mah 30A 18650 battery that is perfect for vapers that need extra amperage for higher wattage vaping or lower ohm mech builds.
- has a 30A (continous drain) that is awesome for vaping at higher watts on a regulated mod or lower ohm builds
- *(always check your build with an ohms law calculator if you are using unregulate or mech)
Batteries with Higher Capacity
By higher capacity, it is understood to mean higher mAh. This is the rating that indicates how long a battery will last.
These typically have a lower continuous drain rating (A) meaning they are designed to be used in a higher ohm build (mech) / low wattage (regulated) situation.
These higher capacity batteries are really good fits for single coil builds and in a single battery mod.
Vaping at 12w with a 1+ohm coil one of these high capacity batteries can last more than a day or two, depending.
Samsung 30q 3000mah 15a Rating: 9/10
The Samsung 30Q is a great 3000mah that provides long battery life for low wattage all day vaping.
- Long battery life
- Mooch has tested this battery to be 20A, higher than the 15A advertised by Samsung
Lg Hg2 20a 3000mah 18650 Rating: 9/10
Often referred to as the Brownies, the HG2 provides a great mix of long lasting life (3000mah) and a suprising 20A continuous drain that will suit most vapers needs.
- 20A continuous drain
- very popular and highly regarded
- Can also come in a three pack for savings
Useful Items and Must Have Vape Accessories
Items every vaper needs in their life
Best Battery Charger
Vaping uses various battery types and not all chargers are created equal
Far and away the most common battery used in vaping today is the 18650 battery. However some of the more recent vape mods are starting to use the wider 26650 battery.
When looking for the right battery charger we want it to have the following features:
- handle a wide array of battery types focusing on those that we use
- 'Smart' - meaning it can show the current voltage of the battery and know when to stop charging
- high quality and well regarded manufacturer - you don't what to get cheap batteries or cheap chargers for purely safety reasons
- optional but nice: variable speed (0.5A, 1A, 2A), dedicated wall charger for max safety, extra USB port for pass through of another device such as a cell phone
Efest Luc V4 Battery Charger Rating: 9/10
This high quality, 4-channel battery charger will charge most 3.7V Li-ion or LiMn batteries including 18650 and 26650 at variable power rates of 0.5A, 1A and even 2A.
- 4-channel, variable power modes
- has additional USB output that can charge most consumer electronics
Built in safety features:
- reverse polarity protection
- short circuit protection
- over-current protection (will stop chargin when batteries are full - HUGE)
- Zero voltage activation function
Supplies for Rebuilding your own coils
Measuring Coil Resistance
If you don't have an ohm meter you are forced to build directly on your regulated mod and as well know they don't have a wide enough base to remain stable and upright very well.
We want an ohm meter that:
- is well constructed and from a well known manufacturer
- wide and stable base to make building easier
- is accurate (tolerance within 0.01 ohms)
- can handle a large range of resistances but focus on sub-ohm builds
- a niceties would be built in fire button, errors
Coil Master 521 Mini Ohm Reader Rating: 8/10
This easy to use ohm-reader is an accurate reader that can read down to .02 and up to 9.99. It is powered by a standard 18650 battery and is able to fire while on the device.
This ohm reader is an easy to use and accurate (some tests available show error to be 0.01 ohms at 0.1 resistance) for builders.
The shape makes it stable to build on and is designed to no have any places where juice could flood the device easily. It has two modes, read and fire modes making it perfect for vapers who like to dry fire their coils to reduce hot spots.
Full Rebuild Kit
All the tools necessary to rebuild a coil
Complete rebuild kits are a pretty easy way to get all of the tools and items you need to get started rebuilding coils.
These are also nice because they come in a well laid out carrying kit where everything fits snugly in foam cut outs.
Parts that are included in most kits:
- ohm meter
- tweezers (metal and ceramic)
- precision clippers (diagonal pliers)
- coil kit - sized coil wrapping assist tool (2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 mm usually)
Coilmaster Diy V3 Rebuild Kit Rating: 8/10
The DIY kit is further improved in version 3 with the improved world famous Coil Master Jig and the new 521 mini ohm meter.
The complete kit comes with all of the tools you will need to build your own coils with ease:
- the 521 tab mini ohm reader (sold separately for $20)
- version 4 of the Coil Master jig set, which has been redesigned to be easier to store and use
- wire snips, precision screwdrivers, ceramic tweezers, angled tweezers, pliers, scissors, a multiple headed driver and 10ft of wire to get started
You will probably want to get some better scissors for better cuts