Keep in mind that new starter kits are coming out on a daily basis and this guide will be updated regularly.
Best E-Cigarette Starter Kit for Beginners
Kits are the way to go for new vapers
For a new vaper, with no supplies at all, getting started can be a bit intimidating. To get started with vaping you need several items:
- an atomizer (tank) and mouth piece (drip tip)
- vape mod (device providing the power mechanism to heat the coil in the atomizer)
- battery and charger
Unless you buy a vape starter kit these are all sold separately; with a kit you can get most of these in one package and with cost savings. Buying a vape starter kit is definitely the most budget friendly option for new vapers.
Some of the starter kits aren't as forgiving when it comes to upgrading as others. Knowing the reasons for getting a kit will help you decide which style to buy.
Mouth to Lung Starter Kit
Perfect for new vapers / recent smokers
These little mouth to lung kits provide the draw and feel that smokers are used to.
A good beginner kit should have:
- a good price
- great mouth to lung (MTL) draw
- built in battery a plus
- (everything but juice)
Innokin Endura T18 Rating: 9/10
Fantastic mouth to lung draw for smokers (ex-smokers) and those wishing to quit or switch to vaping.
Box Mod Style Vape Kits
kits with box mods and tanks
The box mod style kits is what would be recommended for vapers that plan on vaping for a while. This style of mod has a lot more features and is more upgradable than the tube style mods.
Box mod style kits are great for the type of person who:
- is willing to invest more in a better experience down the road and can foresee upgrading some parts (tank or coils) in the future or start seeing it as a hobby
- is planning on switching to vaping or are planning to vape for an extended period of time.
- only wants one rig. Replaceable batteries are a must have so you can just drop in fresh batteries instead of plugging in your rig and waiting.
- have tried vaping and like it or plan on switching regardless.
Box mods as you can see in the photo have a display screen which indicates that the mod is able to have adjustable settings such as variable voltage / wattage settings and more than likely able to utilize newer coil types for use with Temperature Control.
The box mods are also designed more for sub-ohm vaping and are more powerful than its tube style counter parts. These mods are able to handle upgrading the tank later on and are far superior when it comes to diversity of coils that are available to use in the tank.
The entry point on these style mods is also usually a little higher as they usually don't come with the necessary 18650 batteries or charger to power the device.
If you are looking for a kit that you can use for a long period of time in your vape career, definitely start with a box mod style kit.
Single Battery Kit
Eleaf Pico Starter Kit Rating: 9/10
- Perfect size for traveling, on the go vaping
- good hand feel
- familiar styling and interface
- excellent tank pairing, capable of mouth to lung and direct lung
- good choice for new vapers
front button can be a little awkward for larger hands
tank only holds 2ml of liquid
- Spring Loaded 510 Connection
- Upgradeable Firmware
- Full Temperature Control Output
- Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, Stainless Steel
- Three Memory TCR Mode
- 200 to 600 degrees Fahrenheit Range
Sub-Ohm Box Mod Kits
two battery kits
Two battery mods paired with a great all around sub-ohm tank.
A lot of the times these tanks that come with these kits will come with a rebuildable deck section (RBA) making them more like an RTA.
Smok Alien - Baby Beast Kit Rating: 9/10
This kit includes the highly regarded Smok Alien mod and a TFV8 Baby Beast sub-ohm tank for huge clouds and lots of features / options at a great price!
Smok Alien 220w mod with:
- an amazing display with a lot of information
- easily upgradable firmware
- Ni/Ti/SS TC modes
- TCR mode
Baby Beast Tank which is a fantastic little sub-ohm tank with great vapor production, swivel top-fill and V8 baby coil heads. This is a scaled down version of the TFV8 Cloud Beast.
Smok Gpriv / Big Baby Beast Kit Rating: 9/10
Comes with the super nice touch screen 220w mod and the fantastic Big Baby Beast Sub-ohm tank
The G-Priv mod is a top of the line, highly responsive, easy to use touch screen device. The touch screen has a very well placed locking mechanism on the top left. It can go up to 220w in wattage mode and also has TC that can take the standard Ni/Ti/SS builds.
The Big Baby Beast is a great tank that is a bit bigger than the baby beast (wider and taller) but still uses the same coil heads but still delivers great flavor and lots of airflow.
Tube Style Vape Kits
Round Batteries Included (eGo) type
These tube style mods are perfect for beginning vapers who don't want to burden themselves with the task of figuring out all the details on what parts to use or how to tune it for the perfect vape. This style of kit typically has a lower price point as well.
These are really great for several situations:
- a travel vape for taking in the car or using at work
- someone giving a vaping a test run to figure out if they like vaping
- a gift for a current smoker
- lower starting cost
These tube style mods are pretty nice for a few reasons. They usually come with built in battery and charging capabilities which will help save on the startup cost.
It is assemble and fire ready. You don't have to fuss with any settings or figure out what setting is right for the coil, everything is preconfigured and fixed. Since there is only one power setting there is only one type of coil available for the tank, which can be pretty great since you can just pop in a new coil when the old one burns out.
Direct Lung Sub-Ohm Tube Kit
Easy Clouds on the Go
Smok V8 Stick Tube Mod Kit Rating: 9/10
This tube mod kit from Smok is a fantastic on the go cloud kit that features the Big Baby Beast tank as the topper.
Comes with the TFV8 Big Baby Beast!
- 5ml capacity
- 2 subohm TFV8 baby coils (.15 and .2)
- Swivel Top Fill
The Regulated Tube Mod:
- the mod comes with a 3000 mah built in battery
- Smart Mechanical style output that depends on current battery life
- full safety protections that are expected on modern regulated mods (8 sec/ low resistance / low voltage / short circuit)
- Intelligent battery life indicator ring around button
can't adjust settings (like essentially all other regulated tube mods)